Photographs
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Lori~Flower. Make your own badge here.
Writing Tripe Since 2004
BlogYear in Review 2005

BlogYear in Review 2006
Previous Posts
Tags

Friday, July 14, 2006
Do I do the Autopsy?

Or do I just let it lie?

I debated this question last night as I was trying to fall asleep. While I think it would be cathartic to dissect this most recent of my relationship failures, I could do it in a journal, or in a letter to a friend. A blog (regardless of its readership numbers) is an awfully public place to examine something that involved two private people.

On the other hand there are certain people who read this blog as their only communication with me, who seem, for whatever reasons, to have a genuine interest in my life and to care for me and what's going on with me.

So I want to post something, but I'll try to stick to the things that directly had/have to do with me. It's not fair to disparage CB. He's still the same wonderful guy he was when he was my boyfriend. And, in the larger sense, not counting some words that could have been redacted, neither of us did anything wrong. Those things that sabotage more rooted relationships than ours-- infidelity, jealousy, selfishness--they weren't what ended things.

Here are the things that I did wrong:
I didn't listen to my gut in the very beginning. "Listen to your heart" is a great name for a song, but it doesn't always work in the real world. Sometimes you should listen to those voices from your past experience. Mine were saying things like: "But you know that a long distance relationship broke your heart into pieces, some of which are still only attached with duct tape--do you want to go through that again? Should you want to go through that again?" The past was asking me hard and hurtful questions like "Do you want this just to prove it can work?" A voice from my present, namely my brother, was also quite loud and persistent: "Why do you always choose unavailable men?"

My heart was louder. "You love him, you love him. He's not unavailable--or if he is, it's only temporary. You love him, you can do this. You can make it work. You never stopped loving him from when you knew him in college. You compared every guy to him. Here's your chance. Make it work."

I love him. I listened to my heart.

And I'll admit the idea of coming full circle was alluring. The reasons for relationships, for loving someone, are complicated. Deep inside, I have always chastised myself for not waiting until marriage to have sex. Whatever you might call that, it's there. And somehow the idea of ending up with the gentle, loving man I started with was somehow redemptive. Not to mention romantic and wonderful. It would be like all that went in between--the guilt, the fear, the betrayals-- never happened.

We were so good together, when we were actually physically together. It's flicking at the raw to wonder too much if we could have made it in the same country. I think we could have, but I'll never know. I so much wanted for this to be it. But it takes more than that. As another song proclaims: "Sometimes Love Just Aint Enough."


posted by LoRi~fLoWer
Permalink
7 Comments:
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    You handled this very gracefully. Thanks for sharing with us.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Sally said…

    I agree with Tamara, your grace is impressive and admirable.

    Maybe your brother has a point? DO you tend to choose unavailable men? If so, maybe you should evaluate that - why do you do it? Is it because you don't feel you deserve better or you're afraid of something?

    Well, I think you deserve the best and it's my hope you'll find it someday soon.

     
  • At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    only after disaster can you be resurrected
    it is only after you have lost everything that you are free to do anything
    this is your life, and it doesn't get any better than this
    this is your life, good to the last drop

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger ~Tim said…

    Graceful indeed. Don't flick the raw nerve too much.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I'm sorry it didn't work out, Lori.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Becky said…

    It's sad how much the fairy tale is chipped away as we get older and have more experiences, isn't it? I used to think that love alone was enough, but I no longer think that. Then again, I can't say that I would at least "try," if I had the same chemistry that you guys had.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Bex said…

    i feel ya. sorry.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Lori~Flower

Home: Eastern PA, United States

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" --The Fray

My Ecosystem Details
Blogs in my Cycle of Song
Archives
Feeding my Gossip Addiction
Stuff You'll Never Look At

My blog is best viewed with Firefox. It's better and it's FREE!
Get Firefox!

Free Blogger Templates


I'm an A-list Blogebrity


BLOGGER




Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.