Photographs
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Lori~Flower. Make your own badge here.
Writing Tripe Since 2004
BlogYear in Review 2005

BlogYear in Review 2006
Previous Posts
Tags

Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Chapter the Third: In which the Protagonist realizes she is Content.
I have more pictures of the New York Trip, but maybe I'll save those for later.

Sunday morning, riding home on the train, Meg and I were both pretty quiet, possibly because we were still exhausted. I was going over in my mind all we had seen and done. The crowds were really amazing. I know it can't always be quite that crowded, but isn't there something like 5 million people living on that tiny island?

Then driving home from the train station, I was really aware, for some reason, of all the little personal landmarks I developed from living in the same general area for 26 years——this is the road I learned to drive on; that's the store where I bought my prom dress——and I found myself smiling.

It used to drive me crazy. My first job after I graduated from college was at a bookstore. I remember sitting at our holiday dinner listening to two more-than-middle-aged women talking about their high-school friends, and realizing that both of them had lived within a 10 mile radius of their high-school for their entire lives. It seemed like a death sentence! I wanted to be out there, I wanted to see things, I wanted to live in a flat in London, a studio in New York City, a townhouse in SanFranciso.

A few months later I was living in Texas with my brother and then on my own: exploring the city of Austin, finding a real job, getting myself into mounds of credit card debt. I was pretty much "out there." Very homesick at first, quite miserable in fact...but out there. Things got a lot easier, but the longer I lived there the more sure I was that eventually I would go home. It was more than homesickness, it was knowing where I belonged. I wasn't unhappy during my 2 years in Texas, I just knew it wasn't where I was supposed to be. My father dying was the main factor in my actually moving back to Pennsylvania. I hated to think of my mother all alone out there, and in all honesty, during that time I think I needed to be with her as much as she needed me.

Now I've been living back in PA for 4 years. I love it here. I like knowing what deer, foxes, raccoons, and possums really look like (even if they're mostly dead in the middle of the road). I like being close to friends I've known for most of my life. I like having an aerial map of most of Eastern Pennsylvania in my head. I like sleeping in my old bed on the weekends and then going out to breakfast with my mom. I don't mind not being street smart, because I know what the air smells like just before it's going to snow.

There are still things I want to do, of course. I'd still love to work for a publishing house in London. I want to see as much of the world as I can. I always want to be learning. Those two months that I lived in Glastonbury, even if the love has gone out of them and the memories hurt right now, were still two of the best months of my life. But what I realized when I spent a weekend in crowded Manhattan is that while I might end up living somewhere else for years, I know where my home is.
posted by LoRi~fLoWer
Permalink
1 Comments:
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger LoRi~fLoWer said…

    I miss you, Writer, when are you coming home again? Are you staying home through New Years? We have to get together with Meg and have a girly fest!

    Gary: Very true, although I wouldn't mind having both!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Lori~Flower

Home: Eastern PA, United States

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" --The Fray

My Ecosystem Details
Blogs in my Cycle of Song
Archives
Feeding my Gossip Addiction
Stuff You'll Never Look At

My blog is best viewed with Firefox. It's better and it's FREE!
Get Firefox!

Free Blogger Templates


I'm an A-list Blogebrity


BLOGGER




Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.