Photographs
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Lori~Flower. Make your own badge here.
Writing Tripe Since 2004
BlogYear in Review 2005

BlogYear in Review 2006
Previous Posts
Tags

Thursday, July 20, 2006
Stick that Where?
Let's talk about bumper stickers. I hate them. Sure sometimes they can have mildly amusing sayings. In fact I've often thought about having one made that says "Genius is the cross I bear." But I still hate them.

I just don't understand why you'd put stickers on an expensive piece of machinery that, more than likely, you will have to try to convince someone else to buy at some point. I have used a bumper sticker on my car for one reason--to cover up a stupid mistake I made while learning Lori's Life Lesson #378: "Just because there was no one in the driveway behind your car when you parked it last night, doesn't mean there is no one behind it this morning. Defrost your back window."

No one cares where you like to go on vacation, where you had your cat neutered, or what your "other vehicle" is.

Things you stick on your car can fall into various categories:

Stickers with dates on them: They're really only "cool" the year you got them. Who cares that you went to Marriage Encounter 2003? It's 2006 and you're divorced.

A large subcategory of stickers with dates are campaign stickers: You lost. Now what?

Stickers proudly proclaiming your religion: You'd better represent then. No road rage, flipping the bird, or cutting people off in traffic.

Stickers with punny sayings: Is it really that funny? Is it funny more than once? Do you really need a conversation starter on your bumper?

Stickers broadcasting your sexual orientation or your opinion on any sexual orientation: I like my tires full and my car un-keyed, how about you?

Magnetic ribbons: Enough already, huh? The only thing you are supporting is the car magnet manufacturing industry.

So resist the urge. I'm still going to laugh, even if it's paid for.


posted by LoRi~fLoWer
Permalink
5 Comments:
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    I've never used bumper stickers for the same reason you mentioned; it messes up my car that I eventually might want to sell. The ones I hate are the "my kid's an honor student at...."

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for coming over and leaving a comment. I'll have to check out your blog...

    Great idea about a permanent link on my sidebar to the ag issue, too. Sometimes I forget that's an option.

    Hubs would never let me put a bumper sticker on a car - just for Becky's reasons. Now, we DO have to put race car number sticker on the back WINDOW, but that's easier to remove and no possible permanent damage.

    I don't know if they still do, but years ago when my parents and I went to the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, they would run up and put a bumper sticker on your car as you went into the park - WITHOUT ASKING. Talk about just being wrong...

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why do advertisers put advertisements on billboards? To get a particular message or point of view out !

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I despise bumper stickers for many of the reasons that you indicate. Ego plays a large role, IMHO, and the whole honor school thing...if so many kids are so smart why are our schools so bad?

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger ~Tim said…

    I never put stickers on my car either, but I do sometimes enjoy reading them when stuck in traffic. The funniest one I've seen recently:

    Get a Taste of Religion
    Lick a Witch

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Lori~Flower

Home: Eastern PA, United States

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" --The Fray

My Ecosystem Details
Blogs in my Cycle of Song
Archives
Feeding my Gossip Addiction
Stuff You'll Never Look At

My blog is best viewed with Firefox. It's better and it's FREE!
Get Firefox!

Free Blogger Templates


I'm an A-list Blogebrity


BLOGGER




Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.