Photographs
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Lori~Flower. Make your own badge here.
Writing Tripe Since 2004
BlogYear in Review 2005

BlogYear in Review 2006
Previous Posts
Tags

Monday, April 10, 2006
'Tis the Season
Here in Eastern PA things are just starting to get around to blooming, especially the flowering trees. The air is warmer in the afternoons but still chilly mornings and evenings, it also kind of smells like wet soil. Or—if you live close enough to farm land, as I do—like wet something else.

This all means that the topic of conversation will shortly turn to allergies. For so many people that I talk to spring=pollen=death. I'm sure I get more snuffly now and then during the spring, but for the most part I'm lucky in being able to take deep breaths of the fresh air and sleep with my window open.

But just so you don't think I have no sympathy (that sounds wrong) I thought I'd share my weird allergy with you. You know how, sometimes, for reasons inexplicable to the average person you'll get kind of a hurty white bump on your tongue? My mom thinks it's from drinking directly out of cans and bottles, and she could have a point if you think about it. But that one hurty white bump on your tongue is all you can think about when you get it. It hurts to touch your tongue against your teeth so that's all you do all day long.

For those of you that know what I'm talking about, now imagine if every single one of the taste buds on your tongue turned into a hurty white bump. . .all. . .at. . .once.

This is what happens to my tongue if I use this evil stuff:

Just the tartar control stuff, mind you. Imagine if you will how long it took us to deduce toothpaste as the culprit! And you wouldn't believe how long it takes me to actually find a toothpaste without tartar control.

Unfortunately, my tongue seems to be growing more sensitive. The next thing to be added to the hurty bump list was:

Soon to be followed by anything hot and cinnamony. But the one that really gets me, the one that really makes me feel lost, and also the latest addition to the list is this:

No! Not my precious Orbit Bubblemint gum! Does my tongue not know that I need at least a full pack of this to get my through a day at work—a day frought with all the hazards of free donuts, free chocolate, and free leftover birthday cake? Does it not know that the sweet goodness was becoming my signature scent? I need my bubblemint. Need....bubble...mint...need bubble...arrrrgh.....

Do you have any weird allergies?
posted by LoRi~fLoWer
Permalink
6 Comments:
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    Watermelon, pineapple, and also cinnamon flavored anything.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger LoRi~fLoWer said…

    hmmm, i've apparently screwed up the html that leaves your name at the end of comments.

    I touch one or two things. . .

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Becky said…

    I wonder if it's the sugar for the gum that's aggravating your tongue? But yes, those are "interesting." I don't have any so far, but now I'll have to think whenever I get that hurty white bump on what I've last eaten. So far, the allergies aren't bad in Seattle nor were they bad in Hawaii, but I pretty much lived with a kleenex on my face in Texas during the spring.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Allergies: Mushrooms and Dust

    Aren't I exciting?

    CB

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know what... I'm having the same problem right now. And it hurts to talk and anything I eat rubs the bumps.

    I realized that I've been on a big Strawberry kick. All the grocery stores take their turns putting the 2 for $5.00 and I've been buying them up. So mine is from Strawberries. Hope that helps anyone out.

    Katrina

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous orbit bubblemint said…

    Noooooo!!! How can you live without bubblemint?? Surely there's a way to get around this! Maybe if you didn't have a tongue? No, that's silly. Maybe if they made their flavor in spray form?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Lori~Flower

Home: Eastern PA, United States

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" --The Fray

My Ecosystem Details
Blogs in my Cycle of Song
Archives
Feeding my Gossip Addiction
Stuff You'll Never Look At

My blog is best viewed with Firefox. It's better and it's FREE!
Get Firefox!

Free Blogger Templates


I'm an A-list Blogebrity


BLOGGER




Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.